Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did Turbotax trick me into buying UT state upgrade for my LLC?

Turbotax had me by the Utah State package for my multi-member LLC, but then told me that my Utah return "cannot be filed" electronically. But it won't give me any instructions about how to file it by mail. It eventually points me to an explanation about requirements for individuals filing, which isn't helpful. Nolo says that because LLCs are just pass-through entities that Utah won't require a tax.
1. So do I need to mail something to the state?
2. If so, what?
3. If so, why is Turbotax not providing that info automatically somehow--or am I just missing it?
4. If I don't need to do anything with my state return, can I get a refund?

Thanks!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The Utah partnership return in TurboTax Business is print only.

See https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotaxbusiness_ut_windows_partner...

You also might want to review the Utah Partnership/LLC filing instructions.

See https://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-65inst.pdf

Thank you, very helpful. For some reason I couldn't find that information very easily on my own.

In case any else stumbled across this, Turbotax DOES generate a separate return for Utah LLCs. It's form TC-65. As far as I can tell, you have to print out a separate copy of JUST that return and mail it in. It tells you ON THE RETURN where to mail it to. Note: I didn't even notice that Turbotax was generating that form because the window where you print your returns is small and if you don't scroll down a ways, you won't even see it. Of course, I AM still kind of guessing since Intuit didn't see fit to provide any of those directions.

Intuit: It would be SO easy for you to add those instructions in. Please take a minute and add it in there to help our weary, frazzled brains get through this all correctly and smoothly. 

Thanks!

@ben21 wrote:

Intuit: It would be SO easy for you to add those instructions in. Please take a minute and add it in there to help our weary, frazzled brains get through this all correctly and smoothly. 

I agree, but that will probably never happen due to other issues that need to be rectified and enhancements that are a higher priority. Due to the low volume of sales (for Utah partnership returns), they probably will not devote any resources to it - actually, there are quite a few states for which TurboTax does not even offer certain business returns.

It would save all of us a lot of time if you told us why so we did not have to wonder.

This should be a high priority.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies