Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DC/Maryland/Virginia reciprocity: Do I need form 763-S or can I just file as nonresident?

Two weeks before 2023 I bought a house in MD and left VA. The entire 2023 I lived in MD. So, my 2023 W2 has only VA withholding as I thought updating my address with my Agency (in DC) would cover all forms. Naturally, MD says I owe them an enormous amount of money. Can I just file for VA as a non-resident, then file for MD as a full resident, and be done with it? It says VA would give me back all my withholdings which would cover what I owe MD. Or should I file only for MD and pay the money owed, then file form 763-S along with my completed MD return and wait for a refund from VA? Does it matter? I called the IRS and they say they don't care what I do as it doesn't affect them. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

DC/Maryland/Virginia reciprocity: Do I need form 763-S or can I just file as nonresident?

You can file VA nonresident and MD resident and be done or you can file the 763-S and wait. You need to be sure to fill out the correct paperwork for your employer, VA-4, and then check your paystubs.

See Which states have reciprocal agreements? - TurboTax Support

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can file VA nonresident and MD resident and be done or you can file the 763-S and wait. You need to be sure to fill out the correct paperwork for your employer, VA-4, and then check your paystubs.

See Which states have reciprocal agreements? - TurboTax Support

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies