Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot efile amended federal return. State return not filed yet.

I e-filed my 2023 federal return and it was accepted.  I have not e-filed my AL state return yet in TurboTax.  I realized I made an error on one of my W-2s and created the federal amendment in TurboTax, but TurboTax will not let me e-file the federal amendment.  It says I have to mail the federal amendment because a state return is involved.  Is this how it is supposed to work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Cannot efile amended federal return. State return not filed yet.

I found this TurboTax FAQ that addresses efiling your 2023 1040X (amended federal return).  As you'll see, there are some cases in which your 1040X cannot be efiled.  Since you're getting that message, it appears you fall into that group.  See this FAQ:

Can I e-file my federal Form 1040X? 

So you'll need to mail your amended return once the option to amend is available.  Be sure to mail your return using a method that confirms delivery to the IRS.  See the TurboTax FAQ below for instructions on filing your amended 2023 return.

How do I amend my federal tax return for a prior year? 

If your AL return is correct based on your amended federal return, you may end up having to mail it, too.  I doubt the program will allow you to e-file your state return due to the amended status of your federal return.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies