Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can not e-file due to a 0. that it says should be blank and which I can't seem to remove or delete??

Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 12.13.24 AM.png

Hi,

In Deductions, Line 1 ("Amount you paid in 2023 to Social Security (FICA) ... Non-Mass Portion"), TurboTax flagged a zero (0) as an error. However, I am unable to solve the issue.

Here's the reason for the zero:

Box 4 (Federal Income Tax Withheld) and Box 6 (Social Security Wages) on my W-2 form are both blank. This indicates that I did not earn wages subject to Massachusetts Social Security withholding. Therefore, Line 1 on the worksheet should indeed be left blank or contain a zero (0).

Would you please advise on the best way to proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Can not e-file due to a 0. that it says should be blank and which I can't seem to remove or delete??

Please clarify your question.

Unfortunately, we can't see your tax return to to evaluate your problem.   I'll have to ask you a couple of questions.

What form are you trying to enter

• On a W-2,
    • Box 2 is Federal Withholdings - You said box 4
    • Box 4 is Social Security withholdings. - You said Box 6
  • Is this a state tax return?
  • What state?
  • What is the title of the form you're trying to fill out?
  • Are you on the Desktop version of TurboTax?
    • Are you trying to prepare this form in FORMS mode?

Please contact us again with any additional questions or to provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, Thank you so much for your response.

• State Tax Return: Yes, this is for a state tax return. I am filing for both New York and Massachusetts.
  • W-2 Information: I have 3 W-2 form. two of them is only for NY and one of them is for both NY and MA. On my all of W-2 forms, Box 4 (Federal Income Tax Withheld) and Box 6 (Social Security Wages) are both blank.
  • TurboTax Version: I am using the online version of TurboTax (Delux).
  • Forms Mode: I am not using FORMS mode, I am following the standard filing process within TurboTax.
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 10.29.53 AM.png
  •  
AmyC
Expert Alumni

If the zero is coming from the w2s, you will need to see if you can make that a blank. Otherwise, file federal and then you will need to mail in MA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies