Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I dispute a 2013 tax bill from NC if I was a student in SC and moved to TX May 2013? I did not receive any income until I went to work in TX on June 11, 2013.

My parents lived in NC but did not claim me as a dependent. I still had a NC driver's license but lived in TX from May through December of 2013, signing a lease that was effective 5/25/13.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I dispute a 2013 tax bill from NC if I was a student in SC and moved to TX May 2013? I did not receive any income until I went to work in TX on June 11, 2013.

You may always dispute a tax bill.  Did North Carolina include an explanation of their billing?

Normally, there will be a "check the box" to Agree or Disagree with the billing.  

If you Disagree, you will include your explanation as above to the reason you did not owe them.  

Don't get anxious if you receive another notice or two before they process your answer - and they may still not agree with you, so you may have to respond a couple of times to clear everything up.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You may always dispute a tax bill.  Did North Carolina include an explanation of their billing?

Normally, there will be a "check the box" to Agree or Disagree with the billing.  

If you Disagree, you will include your explanation as above to the reason you did not owe them.  

Don't get anxious if you receive another notice or two before they process your answer - and they may still not agree with you, so you may have to respond a couple of times to clear everything up.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies