Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the mortgage interest for my home office if I'm on the title but not the mortgage loan?

For my self-employed business, I wasn't sure if I could claim the mortgage interest, property tax, and homeowner's insurance as home office deductions if only my spouse's name is on the mortgage loan and the 1098 form. We just bought the house last tax year and are both on the title and deed. Also, if I can claim, can I claim the whole amounts, or only half?

For various reasons, we are Married Filing Separate and using the standard deduction, so neither of us are going to be able to claim the main mortgage interest, etc deductions anyway. So ideally, I would at least like to be able to deduct the proportion of expenses applicable to my home office, which does pass the exclusive use test.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Can I deduct the mortgage interest for my home office if I'm on the title but not the mortgage loan?

Yes, you can claim half of these expenses as long as this is your main home and you actually did pay at least half of the expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies