Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I change the state in TurboTax to file state taxes for a different state than what populates in the software?

I live in Tennessee and work for a city in North Carolina.  When I loaded the TurboTax software, it automatically shows Tennessee for filing state taxes, but Tennessee does not have a state tax.  Instead, I need to file a state return for North Carolina.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Can I change the state in TurboTax to file state taxes for a different state than what populates in the software?

Yes, you can.  To do this in TurboTax Online: 

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the State Taxes box, then select Start, Continue, Review/Edit or Pick up where you left off
  4. If the You've already got a head start on state taxes screen appears, select Let's get started.  Otherwise, in the left pane, select Prepare State
  5. Proceed through the screens until you come to the Status of your state returns screen
  6. Select + Add another State
  7. On the Alright, which state should we work on next? screen, select the dropdown and choose North Carolina.  Select Continue
  8. Enter any state information necessary
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies