Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cabell53
Returning Member

California taxes with a move to Connecticut

I have completed my federal taxes using TurboTax Premier but have not filed them.  I moved to Connecticut from California effective October 14, 2022.   My married filing jointly wife remains in California while our divorce completes.  I downloaded the California state tax software from TurboTax but have not yet downloaded the Connecticut software ($45! ouch).  When the California tax software started to do my Smart Check it reports errors like "pension and annuity income received as a California resident must be entered" and "Sch D Wks for part-year and non-residents:  Prior year capital loss carryover as if you were a nonresident for the entire year must be entered".   I don't understand why TurboTax Premier is not figuring this stuff out for me?  It seems to be telling me I need to go to the schedules and fill them out manually?  Can anyone advise me how to proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

California taxes with a move to Connecticut

The information listed on your Form 1099-R reporting pension distributions may not properly reflect where you lived when the distributions where made, so to complete your California return accurately, TurboTax may need to ask you questions regarding that. The same would apply to capital loss carryovers and other items of income and deduction. The program will do what is possible to complete your California return based on the information entered from your tax documents and will then ask questions to process information that is not so clear.

I suggest you just work though the questions one at a time and if you are unclear as to how or what to enter post a specific follow up question on this forum so we can give you specific guidance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies