Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California State taxes withheld on sale of real property

When I sold an investment property the title company withheld a little over $60K in California withholding.  I've entered it where I believe it goes but I'm getting an error message telling me I cannot file my California taxes electronically because the taxes withheld were not reported on a W-2. 10-99, forms 592-B, 593, etc.

The only documentation I have of the taxes paid is the settlement statement from the title company.

Is there another way to list this so I can e-file with California or do I need to print out over 100 pages to send to the state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

California State taxes withheld on sale of real property

@malkire755  surely you got a 1099-S from the title company on the sale of the property -- yes? 

When I sold a property of the same type in CA, they did withhold an amount and I remember entering this amount as "estimated payment",  Franchise Board held up the return, corrected the  entry -- it should have been  "withheld with 1099" and  then it was all good.

HUD -1 form has all the info  but there is no way to enter this into TurboTax.   I would file by mail if you have to  but it  cannot be hundred pages --- CA return is only a few pages  and the attached  Fed return is  a little bit more  -- but the total cannot be more than  24-25 pages.   Note that you have Get TurboTax to  print by mail version for Californian -- not the review version which comes with all the filing forms plus worksheets.

I think I did  e-file though and eventually had to call the Franchise board.

Good luck 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies