turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California state tax with Turbotax Deluxe - Paid Family Leave income in California

Dear friends in the Turbotax community,

My wife and I have a daughter born in 2023 and both of us have received paid family leave income in 2023.  I am at the state filing part of Turbotax Deluxe 2023, the "Paid Family Leave income in California" section.  Turbotax noticed that I reported receiving paid family leave on a W-2 form, and it asks me to review my paid family leave income and adjust the amount if needed to reflect the total paid by the employer's insurance company.

Turbotax automatically put $104,490 as the paid family leave income we received from insurance company. I do not think we received that much as paid family leave income. Could you let me know where in the W-2 forms or any forms I can check my paid family leave income, so that I can update the $104,490 that turbotax put down for me?  

I am also confused how come Turbotax believe we received that much of the paid family leave income. Is there any form/number that I should doublecheck for my federal tax return?

Thanks a lot!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

California state tax with Turbotax Deluxe - Paid Family Leave income in California

Family leave insurance benefits are subject to federal income tax and to federal rules on reporting income and paying taxes. CA PFL benefits are not subject to California state income tax. Benefits paid directly from the state of California are reported on Form 1099-G.

Thanks for the reply.  The number on 1099-G, box 1 "unemployment compensation-paid family leave" is $12,960.  Shall I replace "$104,490" with "$12,960"?  

I am also confused how come Turbotax believe we received "$104,490" as paid family leave income. Is there any form/number that I should doublecheck for my federal tax return?

Thanks a lot!

Is there anything on your W-2 of that large amount. Your paid leave should reflect your reporting of the 1099-G. 

machabelle_28
Returning Member

I think that is #16 on your W2.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

When you enter a W-2 in TurboTax, if you indicate where prompted that some of all of the wages represent paid family leave, the entire amount of the wages from that W-2 will appear in the box in the Paid Family Leave screen in the California return. The instructions on that screen ask you to make any necessary adjustments.

The screen also instructs, “Don’t include PFL income reported on a 1099-G. This will automatically be deducted from your California income.”

If you got a W-2 from an insurance company for PFL, then you do subtract it from California wages. If, however, your employer just paid regular wages in your W-2, then you don't subtract it from California wages and you should remove it from the amount in the California PFL screen.

Any PFL reported on a Form 1099-G will automatically be deducted from your California income. Don't deduct it separately on the screen where you deduct PFL from an insurance company or you will get a double deduction. Also, don't deduct regular W-2 wages as PFL.

See this California EDD webpage and this TurboTax help article for more information.

@mulleryi 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks all for the responses.  I am afraid that I am still a bit confused.

1.  Turbotax was asking for "PFL income received from insurance company". 

My question:

a. Could anyone let me know how can I figure out if any of my PFL income came from an insurance company?  Where on W2 or 1099G and which box shall I be looking at to know if any of my PFL income came from an insurance company?  

b. My impression is that all my PFL income came from California Employment Development Department (EDD), and was supported by the California short term disability insurance that was paid and deducted from my paycheck.  Is EDD considered an insurance company?

2. How can I found out what number shall be filled into this box?  

Earlier response says:

If you got a W-2 from an insurance company for PFL, then you do subtract it from California wages. If, however, your employer just paid regular wages in your W-2, then you don't subtract it from California wages and you should remove it from the amount in the California PFL screen.

My questions:

It appears to me that if I have received PFL income from an insurance company, the insurance company should issue a W-2 to me.  Since I have not received any W-2 from any insurance company yet, does that mean that I did not receive any PFL income from any insurance company?  In that case, shall I enter "0" as "PFL income received from insurance company"?

3. It says that

"If your PFL is reported on a W-2, you must enter the amount (if any) that was paid by an insurance company, and not your employer.

If none of the amount was paid by an insurance company, and all of it was paid by your employer, you must enter $0 in the wages box because any amount reported by your employer in box 16 of a W-2 is considered compensation for services or taxable fringe benefits in California."

from the referenced Turbotax webpage below (https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/worker-benefits/need-know-paid-family-le...)

My questions:

a. Again, it is my impression is that all my PFL income came from California EDD, not from my employer. The information from the Turbotax webpage suggests that the PFL income either came from an insurance company, or my employer.  Is PFL income from California EDD considered income from my employer, or the PFL income indeed come from California EDD but was later paid (distributed) through my employer?

Thanks a lot!

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If your California Paid Family Leave was received from EDD, and reported on Form 1099-G, do not enter it in the California interview as received from an insurance company. TurboTax will automatically deduct it from California income. If you enter the 1099-G amount in the box for "...paid by an insurance company" it will get deducted twice.

In California, Paid Family Leave (“PFL”) provides benefit payments to people who need to take time off work for certain family issues.  PFL paid by the California Employment Development Department (EDD) is reported on Form 1099-G, while PFL paid through a Voluntary Plan for Disability Insurance (“VPDI”) is reported on a W-2, either through the employer or a third-party insurer.  

Paid Family Leave (PFL) income is taxable on your federal return, but not taxable on your California State return if either of the following situations apply:

• It’s paid by the state's Employment Development Department (EDD) and appears on a 1099-G form
  • It’s paid by an insurance company under a Voluntary Plan for Disability Insurance (VPDI) and is reported on a W-2 from the insurance company

If your PFL is reported on a W-2, you must identify the amount (if any) that was paid by an insurance company, and not your employer.

On the “Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?” screen in the federal interview, if you mark the W-2 as containing PFL, then TurboTax will display a PFL adjustment screen in the California interview, showing the total wages from the W-2 marked by the user as containing PFL, and asks the user to review and adjust the amount as needed. The screen also instructs, “Don’t include PFL income reported on a 1099-G. This will automatically be deducted from your California income.”

If none of the amount was paid by an insurance company, and all of it was paid by your employer, enter $0 in the wages box in the PFL adjustment screen in the California interview, because any amount reported by your employer in box 16 of a W-2 is considered compensation for services or taxable fringe benefits in California.

The California Franchise Tax Board regularly audits returns with this issue and adds back to California income any amount incorrectly identified as PFL that was paid by an employer as regular wages or was excluded twice by deducting amounts already excluded on Form 1099-G.

If you got a W-2 from an insurance company for PFL, then you do subtract it from California wages. If, however, your employer just paid regular wages in your W-2, then you don't subtract it from California wages and you should remove it from the amount in the California PFL screen.

Any PFL reported on a Form 1099-G will automatically be deducted from your California income. Don't deduct it separately on the screen where you deduct PFL from an insurance company or you will get a double deduction. Also, don't deduct regular W-2 wages as PFL.

See this California EDD webpage for more information.

Thanks for the response.  I'd greatly appreciate if you could further let me know:

How can I figure out if any of my PFL income came from an insurance company? 

It appears to me that if I have received PFL income from an insurance company, it should be reported on a W2 form.  Is the PFL income reported on a separate W-2 form, or is the PFL income reported on the same W-2 form from my employer?  If it is reported on the same W-2 form from my employer, could anybody let me know which box shall I be looking at to figure out the amount of PFL income that came from an insurance company? 

I'd appreciate even if I have to reach out to HR or payroll department to figure out if any of my PFL income came from an insurance company, although I am hoping I can figure it out from the W-2 form and 1099-G form that I have received.

Thanks a lot!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

If the PFL is coming from an insurance company, it will be reported to you on a separate W-2 from your employer's.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies