Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California state tax with Turbo Tax Deluxe - need to make electronic payments based on a prior year?

Dear Turbotax community,

I used Turbotax 2022 to file tax return last year, and I am using Turbotax 2023 to file tax this year. One of the questions is "need to make electronic payments based on a prior year?".  It further states that California requires electronic payment of taxes if you've:

1. made an estimated tax or extension payment over $20,000, OR

2. filed an original return with a tax liability over $80,000.

Then the question was re-worded to following:

Did you make a payment for any tax year that requires you to make tax payment electronically?

I am pretty sure that I do not meet criteria #1. However, I am not so sure if I meet criteria #2.  May I ask how I can find out if I meet criteria #2?  I can pull the tax return form that I filed in 2022 and check.

Alternatively, if I will pay tax electronically this year, shall I just select "Yes" to get a peace of mind?  It looks like there is a penalty if I am required to pay tax electronically but I end up paying by check.  However, I've always been paying tax electronically, although I was not sure if I was ever required to do so.  I just want to make sure that I won't be penalized.

Thanks a lot!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

California state tax with Turbo Tax Deluxe - need to make electronic payments based on a prior year?

Electronic payments are required for California if you either:

• Make an estimated tax or extension payment over $20,000
  • File an original return with a tax liability over $80,000

Fiduciaries, estates, and trusts are not required to make electronic payments.

The first payment that would trigger the mandatory e-payment requirement doesn't have to be made electronically. This applies to all subsequent payments after either of these thresholds are met, regardless of tax type or taxable year.

Taxpayers who are required to pay electronically may request a waiver of the mandatory e-pay requirement if one or more of the following exceptions apply: 

• You have not made an estimated tax or extension payment in excess of $20,000 for the previous tax year and your tax liability did not exceed $80,000 for the previous tax year. 
  • Your previous tax liability or the amounts you previously paid, causing you to meet the mandatory e-pay requirement, are not representative of your future payments or tax liability.
  •  You are requesting a permanent waiver due to a physical or mental impairment. If you have a permanent physical or mental impairment that prevents you from using a computer, include the Physician Affidavit of Permanent Physical or Mental Impairment. The affidavit must be completed, signed, and included with your waiver request.

The penalty is 1% of the amount not electronically paid.

The California Franchise Tax Board webpage has a link to access the waiver request form and has several options for electronic payments:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies