Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California Residency

I am filing jointly with my spouse.  We have both lived in CA all our lives, but in 2019, my wife moved to Arizona for the first half of the year and then moved back in August. Turbo tax is aking for both our periods of California residency. It says "Period of California Residency Before 2019" and then asks to "enter the period of your California residency" with "from" and "to" spaces that need to fill filled in for both of us.  Since I've always lived here, do I enter my birth date for the "From" dates? And what date needs to be entered for the "To" date? Today's date? Or 12/31/2018 since its worded "Period of California Residency Before 2019"? Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertG
Expert Alumni

California Residency

Yes, your birth date and 12/31/2018.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

California Residency

Yes, your birth date and 12/31/2018.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

California Residency

Another possible issue is that CA may regard your wife as a full-year resident for tax purposes, rather than as a part-year resident.  Just raising the question.

Was her move to AZ for a "temporary or transitory purpose"?  When she moved to AZ, did she keep her CA drivers license and voter registration?  Did she return to the same home in CA?  Did she keep her vehicles registered in CA?  If she has professional licenses, are they CA licenses?

If her answer is "Yes" to all the above questions, it's likely that she should file as a full-year resident of CA and a non-resident of AZ. 

See this reference for CA's full and detailed rules on determining residency for tax purposes.  In particular see page 6, "Leaving California":  

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2019/2019-1031-publication.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

California Residency

While she lived in Arizona she registered her car in AZ, got an AZ driver's license, and applied for her professional licenses in CA relating to work to be transferred to AZ as well.  

TomD8
Level 15

California Residency

Then I believe you are correct to regard her as a part-year resident of both states.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies