Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tchips4567
Returning Member

California - deducting alimony paid

When going through my federal taxes, I entered alimony paid and TurboTax told me that I can't deduct it from my federal income, which was expected.

However, after going through my California state taxes, it never prompted or asked me anything about alimony, so I cannot tell if that alimony paid carried over at all, and I cannot find anywhere that even mentions alimony in the California state section.

Should I manually enter it under "Other Adjustments to Income"? And under there, should I put it as a Subtraction or an Addition? Schedule CA (540) line 19a says to enter Alimony Paid as an Addition, but that doesn't seem to make sense since it actually increased my tax liability instead of reducing it as expected.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tchips4567
Returning Member

I'll answer my own question here since I figured it out and it wasn't obvious.

I did a test by removing my Alimony Paid from my federal interview completely, and saw that my California refund went down, proving that it does apply and work. I just wish it was obvious and that TurboTax asked or confirmed about this when doing the state taxes. I also checked that it shows up in the filled out Schedule CA (540) form.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
tchips4567
Returning Member

I'll answer my own question here since I figured it out and it wasn't obvious.

I did a test by removing my Alimony Paid from my federal interview completely, and saw that my California refund went down, proving that it does apply and work. I just wish it was obvious and that TurboTax asked or confirmed about this when doing the state taxes. I also checked that it shows up in the filled out Schedule CA (540) form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies