Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wolf Larson
Returning Member

Calculating State Tax on Amended Federal Return

Hello all.  In 2021 I made an excess contribution to my Roth IRA.  That was discovered and corrected in 2022. The 7K contribution was moved in kind to a non-retirement account and $534 in earnings was moved too.  I received a 1099-R this year showing $7534 distribution, with $534 being the taxable amount.  TurboTax failed to load my 2021 return correctly, but it did generate the paperwork that showed me what forms to submit, so I did the 1040-X amended return manually.  Form 5329 was used to calculate the tax on the $534 earnings, which was 10% or $53.  I did not have to pay a penalty because the excess contribution was moved prior to me filing 2022 returns.  All that is good, I believe.

However, I'm stumped on what to do now for filing an Amended NC State Return, because I have no way to simply transfer data.  I'm not even sure I need to file an amended return under this scenario.  If I do, how would the additional tax be calculated and which forms would I use?  Would I do it manually?  Thanks....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

To amend your North Carolina tax return, you need to file a corrected form D-400 with the Amended Return circle checked, and a schedule AM (Amended Return.) Since you don't have an original federal return in TurboTax to work off of, you will have to either create one or prepare the North Carolina return and schedule AM manually. Although the tax would appear to be minimal, you are required to amend the North Carolina return since you have income to report that was not reflected on your return as filed.  Here is a link to the NC Department of Revenue website with instructions on how to proceed:

NC schedule AM

Here is a link to where you can purchase the TurboTax desktop program that you may need if you decide to re-create your 2021 tax return in order to do the amended return using TurboTax: 

TurboTax Download Programs

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Wolf Larson
Returning Member

Thank you!  Just completed the state forms on the NC website.  Wasn't too bad.  A lot of work to pay $30 in taxes!  I did learn a lot in the process of manually completing the Federal and State amended returns, I must say.  Thanks again.....  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies