Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cindy83

CA Resident with NYS k-1 income from estate (sale of real estate)

I'm a resident of CA. I received a k-1 connected to a NYS Estate 1041. The k-1 is reporting LT capital gain earned in NYS from the sale of real estate.   

1) I think I need to file NY State non-resident tax return IT-203. Is that correct?

2) I've only ever filed CA returns. I read I should do the non-resident (NY) return first. I already started the CA return in Turbo Tax Desktop. Should I delete the CA return?

3) I assume it's easy to access the NYS non-resident tax return in TT? If not, any tips?

4) Once I've accessed the NY return, will TT transfer my federal data over?

5) After I've done NYS, do I then do CA? Assuming so, will TT transfer my federal data over?

6) Does TT handle avoiding getting double-taxed by the two states or do I have to do something to make sure I'm not double-taxed?

7) I've always efiled my CA return; will I be able to (or have to) e-file NYS as well?

😎 Regarding efiling costs, my version of TT gives me one free state tax return to file and then charges around $25 for each extra state return I efile. I assume that rate is consistent for all states?

9) Anything else I should know about in handling this? It should be a one-time deal.

Thanks for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies