Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA FPL on Employer W2

Hi,

Thanks for all the answers. I am in similar situation but with an exception, so wanted to get your response on that.

Based on reading all the responses from TurboTax support team it seems like PFL pay is deductible in state iff:

1) We received 1099-G from state for PFL pay or

2) We received separate W2 from the insurance company with the PFL amount

If any of above doesn't apply then the amount list in employer W2 for PFL is taxable both by Federal and State.

However, I am observing few different things with my wife's W2 and would like to know the advice from TurboTax support team on it.

My wife received "Family Paid Leave" after pregnancy from the company. The amount $X in W2 is listed under Box14 code "FPL" for the total amount she received. Also her State wages, tips Box 16 in W2 has this $X subtracted but it is not subtracted from the Federal Wages,Tips mentioned in Box 1. This tells me $X is taxable under Federal but not under State. To confirm, this W2 is from her employer only. The total FPL amount which she received was actually received from a 3rd party company who did mention about the EDD program. We also received the letter from EDD about the benefit computation which she will be eligible for and her FML pay $X is according to that. My wife has not received any separate 1099-G form as well. So even though $X is included in her employer W2 it seems like this amount is deductible in state (considering we received  EDD letter for benefit computation and $X is deducted in W2 from state wages box). I wanted  to confirm if my understanding is correct here ? Please advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

CA FPL on Employer W2

No, it is only taxable to the federal. You will need to subtract it from your federal AGI to calculate CA.

What do I need to know about Paid Family Leave (PFL) : Family leave insurance benefits are subject to federal income tax and to federal rules on reporting income and paying taxes. CA PFL benefits are not subject to California state income tax.

Related:

Paid Family Leave | FTB.ca.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies