d779

CA/DC state tax: One spouse lived and worked in CA full year, another moved from DC to CA during the year. How to file?

I'm finally getting around to finishing my 2020 state taxes. Me and my spouse have a rather complicated situation for 2020. My spouse lived and worked in CA for the full year, I moved from DC to CA in Sep 2020. We have a rental unit in DC. How should we file state taxes?

Do we file MFJ for CA and I file MFS for DC? (And I assume my spouse doesn't file for DC?) Does my spouse have to file DC taxes? Rental unit is jointly owned, but the rental income is in my name.

If we file jointly for CA, do we file as part-year residents or full-year residents?

TomD8

Q:  "Do we file MFJ for CA and I file MFS for DC?"

A:  Yes, that is exactly what you do.  If you file a joint federal return, you must file your CA return as MFJ, using CA Form 540NR. the California form for non-residents or part-year residents.  

You should file your DC return as MFS.  Your non-resident spouse is not required to file,

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8