Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA california non-acquisition mortgage question

I have 2 types of questions, the first is a tax question and the second is an implementation question in turbotax.

Tax question:

In CA, you are allowed to deduct the mortgage interest on your home up to a loan value of $100,000 under non-acquisition debt.  This is unlike federal. I did a cash out refi on my home, say $250k cash out to refi my home and $200k refi of a rental home mortgage. Say the total loan is $400k for this example, $150k for my acquisition debt and $250k for non-acquisition (rental) debt.  I can deduct the interest on $150k as home mortgage on my federal taxes and the interest on $250k as business/rental expenses.  Since I am not a real estate professional, I cannot use losses in the rental to offset personal income. BUT, if CA allows deductibility of the interest on $100k of non-acquisition debt, can I deduct that interest on $100k that is used for the rental plus the $150k of home acquisition debt?  If so, I would need to adjust the expenses on the rentals on the CA return and only allocate the interest on $150k as rental expense.  This saves me a few hundred dollars on my CA return, so it is worth considering.  I do realize that I may have to pay it back down the road since there is that much less depreciation on the rental homes, but it is always better to defer taxes

Implementation questions:

How in the world would I do that in turbotax?

In turbotax CA state, it forces me to generate a Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet  (tried deleting it) that is frustrating in that entries cannot be changed and does not tell me where to change it.  For example, on loan 1 there is a box (this loan was refinanced in 2022 with a new form 1098) that is checked yes incorrectly. I cant change the box, I cant override it. What to do?   Secondly, part 3 calculates the amount of nonacqusition debt that is deductible e.g. the portion allocated to the $100k loan from the $250k loan in the example.  But that amount in line 9 doesnt go anywhere. If I  look at schedule CA line 8a column C, that additional non-acqusition mortgage interest cost on $100k should go there, but instead the entire amount of non-acquisition interest costs is there.  schedule CA line 8a column A should have the interest on the home acquistion debt and line 8a column C the non-acquisition interest costs.   Then the CA Sch E needs to be changed.  Where to change that?  Sch E entries are not easy to override.

Thanks for any ideas!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

CA california non-acquisition mortgage question

Hi @whodiini !

I found this other post that may help:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/ca-mortgage-interest-adjustment/00/1250163

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies