Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anyone having trouble with “ Credit for taxes paid to other states”? It’s looping the questions for me. I’m a PA resident and had another job in NJ part time.

When I say yes to employment in another state, add NJ and then remove the W2 when prompted it goes back to the beginning of the questions. What am I doing wrong?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Anyone having trouble with “ Credit for taxes paid to other states”? It’s looping the questions for me. I’m a PA resident and had another job in NJ part time.

PA and NJ have tax reciprocity for W-2 wages or salaries. That means that PA residents are exempt from NJ income tax on W-2 income earned in NJ. If your only income from NJ is W-2 income, then in the Personal Info section of TT, answer "No" to the question about having income from another state.

This also means that PA residents cannot claim an "other state credit" for state income taxes paid to NJ on W-2 income.  If a NJ employer mistakenly withholds NJ taxes from the pay of a PA resident, the taxpayer must file a non-resident NJ return, showing zero NJ income, in order to obtain a refund.

PA residents who work in NJ should file Form NJ-165 with their NJ employer.  Here's a link to that form:

https://www.nj.gov/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/nj165.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies