Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am filing a return for my son who died in '23; he did not live in our state but his address was changed to our state 4 mailing purposes. How do I file his state instead?

TT defaulted to OK since that is the address of record now. I need to file CA instead.  
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Am filing a return for my son who died in '23; he did not live in our state but his address was changed to our state 4 mailing purposes. How do I file his state instead?

Keep the address as it should be and when you get to the state return, simply add his resident state.  You can delete the Oklahoma (OK) state return and add California (CA).

• Select State Taxes (left menu) > Select Your State Returns > Delete  OK by clicking the trash can and/or Add another State (see the image below)

Sending my sincere sympathies to you and your family.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you-I did find that and was able to delete the incorrect state. However, now it says nonresident to the correct state and won’t let me change that. This is literally the only thing keeping me from completing his taxes. I so appreciate your help! And thank you for your kind words. No parent should have to bury a child. 

start at the top and go through the personal Info inteview again.

@user908347095 

One may often  find a deceased person cannot e-File, so don't be surprised if it is REJECTED

and you have to mail it.

@user908347095 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies