Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Muldoon0054
Returning Member

Allocation of Capital Gains not posting correctly to 2nd State

I sold my house  (primary residence) in California in mid 2022, and moved to Michigan.  I'm preparing my return as a part-year resident of each state.  All of my stock/option/crypto transactions  (several thousand in all) were uploaded to my return, which was prepared on TT Desktop.   My federal return looks complete and correct to both me and Turbotax.

I prepared the California state return first.  For capital gains transactions,  since the transactions were already in TT, I elected to allocate on a transaction by transaction basis, based on the date I became a Michigan resident (which was specified in the "Personal Info" section of TT).  I laboriously went through and verified each transaction either was fully allocated to California (if the sale happened when I was a resident there), or "0" of the gain/loss was allocated to California if the sale happened after the date I took up Michigan residency.  The gain on the sale of the California house was specifically allocated to California, as being a transaction occurring while I was a CA resident.  The California return looks accurate to me as well.

Michigan is the issue.  All transactions (even the house sale) are now showing up as "Michigan Gain or Loss", even though I specifically allocated them earlier based on  my moving date. (pre-move to California, post-move to Mich). 

So  the question:   Do I have to go through the whole tedious  allocation process again for MI?  There are literally thousands of transactions.  Or is there somewhere a "switch" to automatically assign to Michigan those transactions which were NOT allocated to California?

2.  If the answer to (1) is "Sadly, yes", is there some way to "mark" the transaction's I've reviewed?  Or at least to lock the sequence of displayed transactions, which seems to change as I start reviewing the transactions in the list.         
Many thanks for any assistance!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies