turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Allocating 1099 wages to New York

Hi everyone,

For a period of two months, I provided consulting services to two New York based companies. I did the work out of my home in New Jersey and haven't visited their offices even a single time during this time. I received payment as 1099-NEC.  I should also point out that the work I did was in addition to doing full time W-2 work I did for another company (based out of Ohio).

How do I allocate these wages to New York? Based on where they came from? (in this case, it's 100%). Based on the time I spent in the office? (in this case, it's 0%). Is there another consideration?

Many thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to file a New York (NY) nonresident return if you have income from your self employment work and you are not an employee of a NY company. Even though you have income from a NY company in your capacity as a self employed contractor, you don't fit the criteria of a NY remote employee, because you have a business that is located outside of NY and you do not work for a company situated in NY as an employee.

It's easy to confuse employee remote worker with a self employment activity that is not situated within NY.

@uschles 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hello.. hoping someone would know the answer to this.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to file a New York (NY) nonresident return if you have income from your self employment remote work and you are not an employee of a NY company.

It seems clear you are not required to file, Review the details in the last link above to be sure you qualify as a nonresident without NY source income.

@uschles 

Thanks again. I think I understand.

The link you shared says "NY Filing Requirements: nonresident with income from New York State sources." - the only details that could be potentially relevant are
"You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.". I don't fully understand this. Based on the list, my situation is '$16,050' and the income I got exceeds that. But I also don't fully understand the consequence of that. So I still don't require to file to New York?

Thanks again for all the help.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to file a New York (NY) nonresident return if you have income from your self employment work and you are not an employee of a NY company. Even though you have income from a NY company in your capacity as a self employed contractor, you don't fit the criteria of a NY remote employee, because you have a business that is located outside of NY and you do not work for a company situated in NY as an employee.

It's easy to confuse employee remote worker with a self employment activity that is not situated within NY.

@uschles 

Got it, thank you for all the help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies