Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maxnim
Returning Member

Allocate income between spouses in NY, different cities.

Me and my spouse are filing Federal taxes jointly. I was a resident of New York City for all of 2023 and my spouse lived and worked in upstate, a nonresident of NYC for all of 2023.

Then in TurboTax I got into this screen of "New York City and Yonkers income splitting", where it asks to allocate dollar amounts of interest, dividend, capital gain/loss income between us.  From the learn more: "Allocate income, adjustments, itemized deductions and corresponding tax liabilities to each of you. The allocated amounts serve as the basis for calculating New York City and/or Yonkers tax."

The allocation will affect my tax return. For example, if I allocate all those income to my spouse, no more local taxes on those income.

Question 1: What are the guidelines to do the allocation? Should I allocate those income evenly?

Question 2: Moreover, is wage income re-allocatable?
The option is not in the step-by-step screen. But the allocation is changeable in the "Taxpayer/Spouse Income Allocation Worksheet" form. 

Here is what I found Form IT-201 instructions regarding Line 51, but still unable to conclude an answer from it: If one spouse was a resident of New York City and the other a nonresident for all of 2023, compute [...] the New York City resident tax on the New York State taxable income of the city resident as if you had filed separate federal returns...

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies