Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

529 Contributions total

On TurboTax 2023, I'm asked to enter the total of contributions made to a 529 NY state fund. I'm the holder of the account and the withdrawls are used to pay for qualified education expenses for my daughter. Other family members besides my wife and I have contributed to the 529 Plan. Are their additions to be calculated as part of the total of contributions or do I include only those dollars that my wife and I have contributed? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

529 Contributions total

Just what you and your wife contributed.   The other family members can take a deduction on their tax returns for their contributions.  

You can receive a New York State income tax deduction of up to $5,000 ($10,000 for married couples filing jointly).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

529 Contributions total

Thank you Dawn. But the Turbo Tax program is not asking for just this year. It is asking for the total contributions made to the account from 1998, when the account was opened until 2023. So I thought they were trying to get the total difference between amount contributed and the current total in order to determine total investment gains, in the event that some of the monies were not used for qualified withdrawls. So again, and I'm sorry to ask again: do I include contributions from 1998-2023 that only came from me and my wife, or do I include other amounts contributed by other family members/grandparents etc ?  thanks for your patience!

Turbotax asks: "Enter the total of all contributions (from 1998 to 2023) to New York 529 College Savings AProgram accounts."

Doesnt this mean ALL contributions, even those not made directly by my wife and me? 

T

AmyC
Expert Alumni

529 Contributions total

It would be just what you have contributed, not others. Some states have an overall limit but I do not see one listed in Instructions for Form IT-201. I don't even see a mention in  Pub 10-W: FAQs - New York State College Tuition Credit and Itemized Deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies