Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

457b distribution tax reporting

In June 2023, our family moved from Virginia (state income tax) to Florida (no state income tax) due to a change in job.  At my previous employer in Virginia, I was contributing to a 457b deferred compensation plan.  On separation from that position, the 457b plan required a lump sum distribution (was not able to do a rollover or elect a yearly distribution). The funds were distributed 3 months after my separation date. The deferred income in the plan was earned in Virginia over several years, but I received the money when living in Florida. I received a W2 from Principal to my home in Florida early this year reporting this distribution.  Federal taxes were withheld. Box 15 of the W2 lists "FL" as Payors State ID and since Florida has no state income tax, no taxes were withheld. 

The TurboTax software has a help section stating the following: "For recipients of these W-2s who are part-year residents or full year nonresidents of a state, the portion of wages that are sourced to each state is reported in Box 16 of the W-2."

My question is…it seems like this income is being allocated by Florida, but do I report this on my Virginia state taxes since I earned this income over several years while work in Virginia?  It is a little unclear to me. Certainly, it would increase my VA tax bill, so do not want to do this if not needed.

Thanks for any help/guidance.

Regards,

David

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You do not need to report it as Virginia Income.  It is taxable by your state of residence at the time you received it.  Since you were a Florida resident when you received it, it is not subject to state income tax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You do not need to report it as Virginia Income.  It is taxable by your state of residence at the time you received it.  Since you were a Florida resident when you received it, it is not subject to state income tax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick response.  This was very helpful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies