turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 State of Arizona Tax payment in Turbotax forcing direct debit

Summary:  Do not follow the web links to pay by credit card on the AZ DoR site(AZTaxes.gov) provided by Turbotax on the Arizona "payment methods" page.  The rest of TT does not recognize you've paid by CC and will force you to provide bank account information if you owe Arizona tax if you want to e-file.

2023 State of Arizona tax payment.  As part of the workflow for filing Arizona taxes, TT presents a page titled, "About your Arizona tax payment."  Two links are provided (actually it's the same link repeated,) to an AZ Dept of Revenue pay-by-credit card page.  Below these links it says, "Continue forward to select a payment method."  There are no check boxes on this page to select one of the web links as the desired payment method but the links are live.  I selected on and went through the process on the AZ Dept of Revenue site to pay my $100 tax bill.  Returning to TT, I select "continue" .  The next page says "Payment Method Needed".  Selecting "Edit" here takes you to prior page (image below,) with the two AZ DoR links.  Again, there is no way in TT to indicate a selection of a payment method.  Ignore the red warning and select "Continue."   

Select "continue" on the "see a preview copy" page. 

Select continue on the page with your email or phone number. 

Select continue on the "you're almost ready to file."

Select "Transmit returns now"

Get "we need to make one more check" page.  

Select either Change Filing Method or Continue.  Change Filing Method takes you back to select e-file or print and mail.  

Select "continue" from the "one more check screen" and get to the page (jpg below) with the Direct deposit or Direct Debit yes/no check boxes.   If you want to e-file you have no choice but to select yes box for "direct debit" and provide bank account information.   

I don't know if this is a problem with TT or the Arizona form not being updated to include pay-by-credit-card.

At the least, Turbo Tax should change the "Payment Method" page to include a warning that says, "If you pay by credit card on the AZ DoR web site, the Arizona form and Turbotax will require Direct Debit bank account information and you'll pay twice. "

I recommend you not pay by credit card at the AZ DoR web site if you owe additional tax and want to e-file using Turbo Tax. 

Arizona Direct Debit requiredArizona Direct Debit requiredArizona Tax Payment methodArizona Tax Payment method

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies