Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aemachin

2023 Iowa State taxes. Previously I deducted vehicle registrations. Iowa portion didn't ask the usual ?s. I know we have to itemize but it never asked- how do I fix it?

I entered the vehicle info in federal portion but the state portion never gave me the questions that it usually does to determine if they are deductible.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2023 Iowa State taxes. Previously I deducted vehicle registrations. Iowa portion didn't ask the usual ?s. I know we have to itemize but it never asked- how do I fix it?

For 2023 and beyond, the Iowa deduction type (standard vs itemized) has to match what is taken on the Federal return.  In the past, you could take the standard for federal and then itemize for state - this is no longer the case.  If you took the standard for Federal on this years return the software is likely ignoring the license plate stuff since you cannot itemize for Iowa.  If you itemized on the Federal return, well I don't have an answer other than there may be a software error.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

For 2023 and beyond, the Iowa deduction type (standard vs itemized) has to match what is taken on the Federal return.  In the past, you could take the standard for federal and then itemize for state - this is no longer the case.  If you took the standard for Federal on this years return the software is likely ignoring the license plate stuff since you cannot itemize for Iowa.  If you itemized on the Federal return, well I don't have an answer other than there may be a software error.

aemachin

Thank you so much!!! That is most likely my problem since we take the standard deduction on Federal. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies