Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LegalTaxPayer
Returning Member

2021 MN Tax Rebate to be reported as 1099 Misc for federal tax

I am filing 2023 MN state taxes. One of the questions is if I got the 2021 MN Tax Rebate which was issued via check or direct deposit anywhere between Aug-Dec 2023. Since I file electronically, I did find a direct deposit made in Oct of last year which is not matching the amount that must be credited. The statement also does not read what it says on the MN Dept of Rev website which should be "State of Minnesota 2021 Tax Rebate Program". I also have not received any 1099-Misc. I am wondering if I have indeed received the rebate.

Note that this is a federally taxable income but not the MN state.

1. For anyone who can see any direct deposit on the bank what does your electronic bank statement say online?

2. From whom/where should I expect the 1099-Misc form to be reported as income to pay the federal tax? Will TurboTax auto generate this form once I fill the info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

It would come from the State of Minnesota.   And you would have received it in the mail.   You enter the 1099-misc in the federal section.   If you did not receive it and did not enter it on the federal side, you would answer NO when asked about it on the MN return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LegalTaxPayer
Returning Member

My question is:

1) If I should call MN Dept of Revenue as to why I have NOT received the rebate amount although I match the criteria like it says on their  website? I am a single house owner and I satisfy all the criteria here. Please see link here (Ctrl button and click the link pls)  - What is the State of Minnesota 2021 Tax Rebate? (mn.gov)

2) Although, there is some amount credited in the month of Oct 2023 from MN State which is not at all matching the state rebate amount of $1040 per my calculation (Married filing jointly + 2 dependents), I do NOT see "State of Minnesota 2021 Tax Rebate Program" on the direct deposit bank statement as per their site. I believe this amount is for something else for what I was to be owed. I was also unemployed for the entire 2023 and there was only a single W2 of spouse. 

3) Lastly, do I need to assume that IF I have NOT received 1099-Misc then I was NOT eligible for the MN tax rebate OR the rebate was just NOT credited?

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you think that you're eligible and have not received a rebate, you should call the state of Minnesota.  You can them at 651-556-3000.   You should call and find out what they say before deciding what to do the rest of your questions.  

Direct Tax Rebate Payments

@LegalTaxPayer 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies