Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

redcbx78

1099-R Lump sum distribution state taxes - resident or non resident state

Thanks in advance!

We moved from OR to GA Feb 12 2023. I retired from the University of Oregon July 31, 2023.

Around October of 2023 or so I received a lump sum payment from my retirement plan and received a 1099-R. Box 15 on the 1099-R shows GA as the state.

I completed my taxes using Turbo Tax. Filed Federal, GA and OR taxes and they were accepted

I received a notice of defeciency from Oregon - denying the 1099-R subtraction.

I'm paying state taxes to GA for the 1099-R, which was my resident state at time of the 1099-R distribution.

I have filed an objection with the Oregon Department of Revenue - stating that only the state of residence at time of distribution is entitled to tax the distribution.

The question I have - At time of the lump sum distribution, is it correct that only the resident state can tax the 1099-R distribution? 

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

1099-R Lump sum distribution state taxes - resident or non resident state

Q:  At time of the lump sum distribution, is it correct that only the resident state can tax the 1099-R distribution? 

A:  That is correct.  Here's a link to the relevant federal law: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/114#:~:text=No%20State%20may%20impose%20an,the%20laws%20of...).

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies