Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC received from different state, not sure where to pay my state taxes!

I'm an Oregon resident and have a permanent job here from which I receive a W2. I did some contract work in Montana through a healthcare staffing company and received a 1099-NEC for which:

-Box 5 is blank

-Box 6 has a blank for the "StatePayer's state no." but right below it shows "OR Applied For"

-Box 7 shows a State income of $X amount (over $10,000)

This staffing company, based in Florida, is listed as the Payer on the 1099-NEC and otherwise I see no indication on the 1099-NEC about any evidence of me working in Montana

Do I just file taxes in Oregon and call it quits or do I have to file taxes in Montana as well (although I've already paid the 9.9% state income tax to Oregon via quarterly payments)?

Appreciate any input!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.   Do I have to file taxes in Montana as well?

A. Yes, if you physically worked in MT.

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. You will have to file a non resident MT state return and pay MT tax on the income earned there.. You will also file a OR full year resident return and calculate tax on ALL your income. OR will give you a credit, or partial credit, for the tax you pay MT. So, there will be little or no double taxation, but you have the cost and hassle of filing two state returns. Do the nonresident state return first.

TomD8
Level 15

In the Personal Info section of TT, indicate that you had "Other State Income" from MT.  This will prompt the program to generate a non-resident MT tax return.  MT can tax the income you earned in MT; your home state of OR can tax ALL your income, including that from MT.  As @Hal_Al stated OR will grant you an "other state credit" for the taxes you pay to MT, so in effect you won't be double-taxed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies