Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC received from different state, not sure if nonresident return is necessary

I live in New York, and for part of 2023 I worked as a non-employee for a company in Arkansas. I spent one weekend in Arkansas, but otherwise did all of the work from home in New York.

I received a 1099-NEC: 

Box 5 is blank

Box 6 shows NY

Box 7 shows income (over $10,000) 

Do I need to report this as out-of-state income, and file as a nonresident in Arkansas? Or can I just report no out-of-state income and file a NY state tax return only. 

Thanks for any information.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC received from different state, not sure if nonresident return is necessary

According to the Arkansas Department of Revenue, you are required to file a non-resident tax return.  A nonresident who is paid a salary, lump sum payment, or any other form of payment for work inside and outside of Arkansas is only taxed on the amount of income while physically located inside of Arkansas. For remote workers who perform all of their duties from outside Arkansas, no income would be taxed. If duties performed are a combination of inside and outside of Arkansas, only the portion that reasonably can be allocated to work performed in Arkansas is taxable. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

"A nonresident who is paid a salary, lump sum payment, or any other form of payment for work inside and outside of Arkansas is only taxed on the amount of income while physically located inside of Arkansas"

so since I did not work in Arkansas (the work was remote), I am not taxed on this income. But I still need to file a nonresident return?

thanks 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If you did not do any of the work in Arkansas, you do not need to file an Arkansas return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies