Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 from another state? part time resident?

I moved from WA state in 2016 to Utah and have a w2 from wa and a 1099 misc from Utah how do I file this 1099, also am I considered a resident or part time resident?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You are considered a part year resident of both states.  You need to file a part year resident return for Utah, and as I'm sure you know, you don't need to file a Washington return since they don't have an income tax.  As for the 1099, it depends upon what kind of 1099 and what you received it for.  It could be a prize, not subject to self-employment tax, or it could be for work as an independent contractor which would be self employment income. 

If the 1099 was not for work, then enter as "Other Income" in the wages and income section.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You are considered a part year resident of both states.  You need to file a part year resident return for Utah, and as I'm sure you know, you don't need to file a Washington return since they don't have an income tax.  As for the 1099, it depends upon what kind of 1099 and what you received it for.  It could be a prize, not subject to self-employment tax, or it could be for work as an independent contractor which would be self employment income. 

If the 1099 was not for work, then enter as "Other Income" in the wages and income section.

Ok. So I go through the things to file on the part time residency of the state taxes option on the site here. For some reason it keeps coming up with Kentucky in the summary of taxes paid to other states. I have zero on this since I've never been to Kentucky in my life so I'm hoping it's all ok.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies