turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NJ and MD state taxes

I live and work in NJ and my wife lives and works in MD. I have income source in NJ and no income source in MD. My wife has income source in MD and no income in NJ. Can we use married filing jointly for our 2019 federal return and married filing separately for our NJ and MD state income tax return? If the advice is for us to use the same filing status on both federal and state for both MD and NJ and if we choose to use married filing jointly, will I have to pay MD taxes on my income earned in NJ and will my wife have to pay NJ taxes on her income earned in MD. Thank you in advance. Please don't answer my question using FAQ answers. NJ seemed to have a special situation which I don't understand very well, where is says the same staus has to be used for state and federal. Does this apply to residents with non resident spouses too?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

NJ and MD state taxes

@taxquestion2016 wrote:
Does this apply to residents with non resident spouses too?

No. There is an exception for residents with nonresident spouses.

...if during the entire tax year one spouse was a resident of New Jersey and the other a nonresident, the resident can file a separate New Jersey return, if required. The nonresident spouse also may have to file a nonresident return if income was received from a New Jersey source. Each filer calculates income and exemptions as if federal married, filing separate returns had been filed. The spouses have the option of filing a joint return, in which case their joint income would be taxed as if both were residents

See https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/tgi-ee/git4.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies