Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I submit amendment to 2022 online?

I submitted my year 2022 taxes online back in apr 2023. I need to amend that return. I made a trial run with ttax and at the end of the process, where it asked me to save and print the amended return, I clicked Done and it then offered to send the return online. That's what I expected. However after starting over with an untouched, saved copy of the 2022 return, it no longer offers to send the return online. I started from exactly the same file, untouched since I filed in 2023. How can I send the amended return online?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can only efile a current year amended return from the Desktop program.  Even if you tried the first time around it would have rejected.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Are you using the Desktop program for 2022?   

On Feb 20, 2024 an employee posted this……..
According to our tech support team, this is not a product defect. TurboTax Desktop for prior years does not support E-file for amendments like TurboTax Online does. Apparently, the signature date is the trigger for rejecting an e-file attempt.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/tt-desktop-won-t-let-me-e-file-2022-amen...

Yes this is desktop for 2022. I think it is supposed to support efile if the original was efiled. And, the first time around when I did not actually submit the revision, after the save and print page, clicked Done, and it then offered to efile. But this time around it does not.

You can only efile a current year amended return from the Desktop program.  Even if you tried the first time around it would have rejected.  

ok, thanks for that info.

Also, do I need to refile for state as well? There is no balance due for state. The only item changed on the amended return was the listing of an excess contribution to a roth ira. I think it may be irrelevent for the state (CA).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies