Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Traditional IRA Contribution

As a single, sole proprietor of my business, if I contribute the full amount of $6000 to my traditional IRA this year (and say I would owe $6000 in taxes if I did not), would I owe $0 in taxes? I think the answer is yes but I want to make sure.  Also, what is the deadline to contribute for 2021. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If the IRA is a deductible contribution it will be entered as an Adjustment to Income reducing your Adjusted Gross Income.  The deductible contribution is Not a one-for-one reduction of taxes owed.

You can contribute to an IRA at any time on or before April 15, 2022 for it to be included on a 2021 tax return.

Totally makes sense. Thank you!

PoojaT27
Employee Tax Expert

Contributions to a traditional individual retirement account can be tax-deductible in the year you make them. Different IRS rules on IRA contributions apply to differing situations. However,

• You can generally deduct the full amount of an IRA contribution if you and your spouse aren't covered by retirement plans at work.
  • If you and your spouse are covered, your contribution might be limited based on your adjusted gross income.

For example, if you are in the top tax bracket of 37% and make a $6,000 deductible contribution—the maximum for 2021—you can save as much as $2,220 in taxes based on 2021 tax rates. Best of all, unlike most tax-saving strategies that must be in place by December 31, you can contribute to an IRA all the way until tax filing day. 

April 18 2022 is the last day to contribute to a traditional IRA for the year 2021.

The tax reduction is not a dollar for dollar reduction to the amount of contribution. Depending on your tax bracket, you get the tax reduction. Another, point to be noted is that the IRA contribution is only allowed to the extent of your earned income if earned income is less than $6,000. 

4 Last-Minute Ways to Reduce Your Taxes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies