Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MsMoe
Returning Member

Sole prop with one employee

e-filed employee w2 using intuit payroll in January 2024.  Working on 2023 taxes, turbotax  question asked do i have a w2, answer no.  But turbotax can create and e-file.  Is this question asking me as owner/sole prop to create an w2 for myself ? In another section it ask for employee wages, then employee Social Security/Medicare and Futa/CaSUI.  I added employee contributions , however  should i add my SS/Medicare contribution also?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Sole prop with one employee

Is this question asking me as owner/sole prop to create an w2 for myself ?  No, it is asking you if you need to create one for your employee.  Since you already did so, select no. 

In another section it ask for employee wages, then employee Social Security/Medicare and Futa/CaSUI. This is where you will enter what you paid your employee so that it is deducted from your gross profit. IF YOU ARE IN THE BUSINESS EXPENSE SECTION.  The wages should be listed under Employee Expenses

I added employee contributions , however  should i add my SS/Medicare contribution also? If you are in the business expense section, you should not add your employee Medicare/SS withholdings as that was deducted from their wages.  You will enter the amount you paid. 

If you selected yes to create a W2, then you should delete this section and go back to the Business Expense section where you will enter the wages paid to your employee and your share of the taxes you paid. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies