Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

self-employed Deduction for the Health Insurance paid for self

CPA & TurboTax Expert [PII removed] once said, "If you’re self-employed, you can usually claim a tax deduction for the health insurance paid for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. This means that the premium paid for medical, dental, or long-term care insurance can reduce your taxable income, dollar for dollar. If you’re self-employed and responsible for your own health insurance coverage, you might be able to deduct 100% of your premium cost. That gets taken off your adjusted gross income rather than as an itemized deduction."

1. So, how should you enter it in my TurboTax Home & Business software? What documentation do you need to claim it?

2. Is there a way to claim medical expenses without itemizing (Schedule A)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

self-employed Deduction for the Health Insurance paid for self

Yes you can deduct health ins premiums (not expenses) again your income.  But it doesn't go directly on Schedule C.  

Where to enter Self Employed Health Ins in the Home & Business program.

Where do I enter my health insurance premiums in TurboTax Home & Business if I'm self-employed?

If your health ins exceeds your net self-employment income it gets split. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 17 (to 1040 line 10) and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies