Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Removing Form 5329 to allow e-filing Fed return

My 2021 Home and Business Tax had a weird bug in Personal Info that kept setting my State in mailing address to "Italy". This triggered prompt for country code in 5329 form....would not accept "not applicable" via Fixit process. I followed instruction to remove form 5329 (for desktop software) by navigating to Forms, 5329 and deleting from list. I subsequently discovered I could set State to California vs. Italy by toggling from "U.S. address" to "Military address" and back to "U.S. address". When I print out my returns for review, Form 5329 is not printed out but e-filing still gets blocked because Fixit runs and thinks there is error in Form 5329 (which should not be in my filing). How do I remove 5329 review from filing process?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Solved my Turbo Tax 2021 Home and Business 5329 “BUG” yesterday. Root of problem was TTAX overwriting my “California” entry in mailing address dialog with “Italy”. This triggered 5329-S form with “Italy” as Country of residence and 5329-T form with “Other Country”. Both then wanted country code field filled in with a 2 letter code. First I had to get Personal Info to remove Italy and correctly capture California as mailing address state. During data entry in Personal Info, California was always correctly inputted and visible but upon saving, summary showed Italy as state for mailing address. After much experimenting, I found that if I changed “U.S. address” to “APO/DPO/FPO” and then back to “U.S. address”, re-entering “California” as State and saving, TTAX finally removed “Italy” and displayed “CA” as state for mailing address in summary. Next re-ran Review process which flagged 5329-S/T forms. Switched to Forms view, selected “IT” for both country code entries. Then proceeded to select 5329-S and 5329-T forms for Deletion. Ran Review again and errors were eliminated. I have used TTAX for over 20 years and this was the BUGGIEST version I have ever encountered. And painfully I have found there is no viable means to get bugs reported and resolved in a timely manner fro Intuit. What I just reported shows the effort that a customer has to go thru to get past software bugs with the product with ZERO Intuit direct, problem specific support.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Does IRS Form 5329 contain data or is it a blank form?  If the form contains data, the data may not be allowing you to delete the form.

You may have to remove the entry on IRS Form 5329, delete the form (if it is still there), then reinstate the IRS Form 5329 entry.

For instance, if a 1099-R entry with code '1' in box 7 generates a 10% penalty on line 3 of the IRS Form 5329, delete the 1099-R to remove the IRS Form 5329 entry.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Solved my Turbo Tax 2021 Home and Business 5329 “BUG” yesterday. Root of problem was TTAX overwriting my “California” entry in mailing address dialog with “Italy”. This triggered 5329-S form with “Italy” as Country of residence and 5329-T form with “Other Country”. Both then wanted country code field filled in with a 2 letter code. First I had to get Personal Info to remove Italy and correctly capture California as mailing address state. During data entry in Personal Info, California was always correctly inputted and visible but upon saving, summary showed Italy as state for mailing address. After much experimenting, I found that if I changed “U.S. address” to “APO/DPO/FPO” and then back to “U.S. address”, re-entering “California” as State and saving, TTAX finally removed “Italy” and displayed “CA” as state for mailing address in summary. Next re-ran Review process which flagged 5329-S/T forms. Switched to Forms view, selected “IT” for both country code entries. Then proceeded to select 5329-S and 5329-T forms for Deletion. Ran Review again and errors were eliminated. I have used TTAX for over 20 years and this was the BUGGIEST version I have ever encountered. And painfully I have found there is no viable means to get bugs reported and resolved in a timely manner fro Intuit. What I just reported shows the effort that a customer has to go thru to get past software bugs with the product with ZERO Intuit direct, problem specific support.

Thanks for replying but see my most recent post. 5 thumbs down (meaning effectively zero) on Intuit support. Obvious glaring bug in software and Intuit does not appear to care about resolving with code update. QA apparently went down the toilet this year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies