Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

123beth
Returning Member

Threshold for Filing 1099K

Hello- what is the threshold amount I have to make in a year via a third party platform to file a 1099K? (ie. if I make over $600 through eBay in a year then I will need to file, but if I make less than that I don't?) 

Additionally, if I reach the $$ threshold and have to file a 1099K, do I need to record all my expenses that went into the profit I made? 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Threshold for Filing 1099K

Hello Beth,

You don't file the 1099-K, you will receive a 1099-k, 1099-misc or 1099-nec from the entity or person giving you the money (Venmo, Cash App, etc).

You would report the income on schedule 1 of your tax return if it is a hobby and no expenses can be taken

If it is a business the you will need to file a schedule C (self employment income). On the schedule C you will list all the income you made cash, 1099-K, 1099-nec or 1099-misc.

You will also list all of your expenses associated with making that income. The expenses will be deducted from the income giving you a net profit/loss

Here are a few links with more information

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/beginners-tax-guide-for-the-self-employed...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/small-business-taxes/when-the-irs-classifies-your-business-as-a...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies