turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

D2022
Returning Member

Taxes and expenses

Hello. Very new to this. Started buying and reselling items on eBay with the intent to profit. For example if I bought $1,000 worth of items and have sold $800, will I not pay taxes on it this year since I haven’t made over $1,000 so technically still in the red?  Or is it per item I made a profit on? And is the $1,000 worth of different items something I can deduct and will only pay taxes during a year where I actually sold more than I bought?  Also, can I deduct the shipping costs and mileage to mail them? Trying to figure out a way to track all of this but been difficult. Thank you for your time. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NancyM5
Employee Tax Expert

Taxes and expenses

In the example above, the $1,000 of items that you purchased is your inventory.  If you sold $800 of these items during 2022, then you will report cost of goods sold as $800.  This cost is subtracted from the income you received to sell these items.  The remaining $200 of items you purchased, in this instance, remains in inventory and is expensed at the time you sell it.  This is what we call the Matching Principle in accounting.  You match the item sold to the revenue you received and report both the income and cost in the year the transaction occurred.  The income and expenses for the year are entered on a Schedule C of your 1040.  The net income or loss from that schedule is combined with the other items on your return to determine if you owe taxes and how much you owe.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies