turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Write Off for Delivery Service

Hello, I first wanted to say thank you all for doing this! Here’s my question:

I work for Walmart Spark, Door Dash, and other delivery services which is self employment. I change the oil in my truck, wash my truck at home, and do any other routine maintenance work needed on my truck in result of all the miles I put on my truck working. I was curious if I can still write that off as far as my time doing those jobs and a labor rate lower than the body shops to put a value on what I’ve done? I’ve been writing my own receipts every time I do an oil change, truck wash, etc and taking a photo for proof. The way I see it is if I paid someone to change my oil I could absolutely write that off. But I don’t pay anyone to change my oil because I know how to do it myself and can do it for cheaper. So I feel like I should be allowed to write that off. Just wanted to ask that and see if there’s anyway you all could help me out! Thank you in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JandKit
Employee Tax Expert

Hi Grant W,

First, the IRS will let you claim credit for your time but not for YOUR work as described in your question. If, in the first year that your truck was placed in service you used the standard mileage deduction, you can used the actual expense in any following year if that deduction is better for you. If, on the other hand, you decided to use the Actual expense in the first year of use, such as oil changes and vehicle maintenance cost, you must continue using the actual expense for the remainder of the vehicle's life.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That makes sense. Thank you. What do you mean when you say the IRS will let me claim credit for my time but not for my work? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies