Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Selling all of my stuff on ebay to move to Mexico

Hello,

I have sold lots of items on ebay this year and it is all my stuff for much lower than I paid for it.

I'm also selling my record collection on another site that works through PayPal payments. Both of these payment systems have a $600 cap before IRS reporting. I should have moved last year when it was $20K. 🙂

All of it has been for losses compared to original cost but I have no records of that.

How will I handle this for taxes? Is there a way you actually claim garage sale income for example that would be excluded from taxing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If you are basically selling like a large garage sale that income is not taxed. 

jonnienottingham
Returning Member

Hope it's OK if I jump in here.  If I sell items in a Facebook group set up specifically for the items that I am selling which I previously purchased for retail prices and the payment is made through PayPal, will I have to pay taxes on it?  The items will be sold for much less than the retail prices that I paid.  Thanks!!

Are you a tax professional? I thought this was ask a professional event. 

I'm asking what to do on my taxes when I possibly get 1099s for making $25k from ebay and PayPal from selling all of my stuff. Hope the tax man/woman will ignore and just not claim it, and somehow they'll assume it was garage sale sales? Is there a way to claim it was garage sale or the source -like selling all personal items?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies