turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a total of $1060 from an employer as an independent contractor in 2019, but I didn't get a 1099-MISC

Had some work back in August as a Sales Associate for a start-up, but unfortunately me and the other contractor received the boot since the boss was going through a dry spell and couldn't close any cases (life settlement). I did some research online and I see that we're supposed to receive a 1099-MISC if we earn more than $600. Is this really required? Or is it okay to use the second option instead to report the income: https://i.imgur.com/fzeLS5Q.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Received a total of $1060 from an employer as an independent contractor in 2019, but I didn't get a 1099-MISC

Yes, the IRS requires that all employers  provide a 1099-MISC to any individaul that they pay $600 or more to in a year.

If you know that your employer will not be providing you with a Form 1099-MISC than you may use your own records to report your self-employment on your tax return.  The fact that you will not receieve a 1099-MISC does not releieve you from reporting the income you earned from that employer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I understand, thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies