turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Part time uber eats driver making under $600 so far what're the tax implications?

I am new to uber eat delivering. Ive made maybe $100 so far. What're the tax implications? What should I be aware of? What can I write off as an independent contractor?

Thank you,

Ashley

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Part time uber eats driver making under $600 so far what're the tax implications?

Hello AJ,

This would be considered self employed income and you would need to report it on a schedule C (self employed income and expenses).

You would report all income made and any expenses you had making that income.

Some expenses are Vehicle mileage, cell phone, warming bags, uniforms etc.

Here are a couple of links with more information

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/filing-taxes-for-on-demand-food-delivery-...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/beginners-tax-guide-for-the-self-employed...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Since you are not making allot of profit I don't think you will need to make any estimated payments for this year, any taxes owed can be settled when you file your return next year.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hello AJ,

This would be considered self employed income and you would need to report it on a schedule C (self employed income and expenses).

You would report all income made and any expenses you had making that income.

Some expenses are Vehicle mileage, cell phone, warming bags, uniforms etc.

Here are a couple of links with more information

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/filing-taxes-for-on-demand-food-delivery-...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/beginners-tax-guide-for-the-self-employed...

Thank you, that is helpful, but I do need some more clarification. I am working full-time in addition to this side gig of part-time work as an uber eats delivery driver. I am keeping detailed record of everything as best I can. If I decide it isn't for me and I earn less than $400 from it after deducting expenses, do I still need to file independent contractor taxes?

Thanks,

Ashley

Yes you will still need to report all the income and expenses to avoid getting and IRS letter

One last question,

Do I need to file estimated taxes quarterly if making under $400 after subtracting costs at these dates:

First-quarter payments: April 18, 2022 / Second-quarter payments: June 15, 2022 / Third-quarter payments: Sept. 15, 2022 / Fourth-quarter payments: Jan. 17, 2023.

Or can I file at the same time of my annual taxes by April 18?

Thanks,

Ashley

Since you are not making allot of profit I don't think you will need to make any estimated payments for this year, any taxes owed can be settled when you file your return next year.

Thank you! This has been extremely helpful.

Take care.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies