Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GWE1925
Returning Member

Investment adviser qualify for pass-through status

Does a sole proprietor investment adviser qualify for pass-through status and its 20% deduction in qualified business income?  I'm under the taxable income threshold.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@JayHo wrote:

I am trying to pass through shareholder distributions as ordinary income and cannot get the Premier to accept the 17c figure from my K1 as income. 

You are going to have to provide additional details.

Line 17 with a C code on a K-1 from an 1120-S (S corporation return) is for qualified rehabilitation expenditures. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Yes, as a sole proprietor you would qualify for the new 20% Qualified Business Income Deduction. As an investment adviser, your business would be considered a specified service trade or business (SSTB). If your total taxable income is under $157,500 ($315,000 if filing jointly), the limits on the deduction will not apply.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JayHo

I have a single shareholder S cor[.  I am trying to pass through shareholder distributions as ordinary income and cannot get the Premier to accept the 17c figure from my K1 as income.  It completely ignores it. This is income that is taxable.  What gives?

@JayHo wrote:

I am trying to pass through shareholder distributions as ordinary income and cannot get the Premier to accept the 17c figure from my K1 as income. 

You are going to have to provide additional details.

Line 17 with a C code on a K-1 from an 1120-S (S corporation return) is for qualified rehabilitation expenditures. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies