turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am self employed, a job I did required me to do thousands of hours over what I charged, is this a write off?

I am self-employed, Single Member LLC, I majorly underbid a job and still isn't complete required me to do thousands of hours over what I estimated over 8 months, is this a write off in any way? I could not work on other projects for around 6 months but also didn't get paid for the work. Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I am self employed, a job I did required me to do thousands of hours over what I charged, is this a write off?

No.

You are only taxed on your self-employed business for any income earned over your expenses. 

Since you never charged your customer for the income you should have earned, you won't be taxed on it and you cannot deduct it since it was not an actual expense that was paid out in cash.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No.

You are only taxed on your self-employed business for any income earned over your expenses. 

Since you never charged your customer for the income you should have earned, you won't be taxed on it and you cannot deduct it since it was not an actual expense that was paid out in cash.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your valuable time and answer!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies