turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgalde
Returning Member

Does this impact me if I don't have a business account on Paypal, etc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I believe the rule applies to any third-party payment processor that takes credit card payments and sends you the money.  The most common reason for doing this is someone who has an eBay account or an Etsy store. The rule will also apply to crowdfunding campaigns, even if there is no business purpose (such as a request to help with medical bills) and this will need to be explained on the tax return.

If you don’t have an account with any third-party credit card processor, then I don’t see why you would ever receive a 1099-K. 

Or to put another way, the rule applies to any credit card processing arrangement, regardless of whether the original intent was business or personal. If you receive large personal payments, you may receive a 1099-K.  Getting a 1099K does not automatically mean the money is taxable, but it means you have to include an explanation on your tax return.

jgalde
Returning Member

Ok, so does it matter if its a business account? or no it doesn't matter, they are doing this regardless of it being a business account.

@jgalde wrote:

Ok, so does it matter if its a business account? or no it doesn't matter, they are doing this regardless of it being a business account.

The payment processor is required to issue the 1099-K for every account with more than $600 of transactions.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies