turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

celeste567
Returning Member

Difference Between Schedule C and Form 2106

What is the difference Between Schedule C and Form 2106?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

A Form 2106 is only used to report Employee business expenses.   

IRS Form 2106 Instructions - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i2106.pdf

Use Form 2106 if you were an Armed Forces reservist, qualified performing artist, fee-basis state or local
government official, or employee with impairment-related work expenses.  
Due to the suspension of miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% floor under section 67(a), employees who do not fit into one of the listed categories may not use Form 2106.

A Schedule C is used to report Self-Employment income and expenses from your business.

IRS Schedule C instructions - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sc.pdf

Use Schedule C (Form 1040) to report income or (loss) from a business you operated or a profession you practiced as a sole proprietor. An activity qualifies as a business if your primary purpose for engaging in the activity is for income or profit and you are involved in the activity with continuity and regularity

WendyS
Employee Tax Expert

Hi Celeste567,

Schedule C is used to report a profit or loss from a self-employed business, including any side jobs or gigs you may do.    

For your convenience, I am including a link for a helpful article:  Am I considered self-employed?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/am-i-considered-self-employed/00/26535

Form 2106 is used to report employee business expenses.  This applies to individuals who are employees (not self-employed) and had out of pocket job related business expenses that the employer did not reimburse you.  Current federal tax legislation suspended the miscellaneous itemized deduction with a 2% floor, which included these out of pocket miscellaneous employee job expenses.   The form 2106 is currently only used if you are employed as an Armed Forces reservist, a qualified performing artist, a fee –basis state or local government official, or an individual with a disability claiming impairment-related work expenses.

Schedule C reports self-employed income and expenses for all self-employed individuals while Form 2106 only reports unreimbursed out of pocket expenses for employees in certain categories listed above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies