turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Commute Miles vs Business Miles

Good Morning, 

I have registered my home as my office since that is where I do most of my online work, paperwork, etc. I also completely own my car, with no payments, and no leasing. Since I have to meet clients on a regular basis in the afternoons, I have to drive to them and then back home. Since my home is established as my office in my business registration, are the miles that I add to my car when I go meet clients considered business miles? And can I report it as a round trip since I have to go back to my office/home? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JandKit
Employee Tax Expert

Hi daneillopez0807,

You are absolutely correct. Since your home is your office from which you work, the IRS will allow you to claim the mileage from your home to meet your client and back home again. Please be sure to keep complete mileage records using an app or make the notations before, during and after completion of your trip. The mileage rate for business this year is 58.5cents per mile for the 1st 6 months and 62.5 cents per mile for the last half of the year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JandKit
Employee Tax Expert

Hi daneillopez0807,

You are absolutely correct. Since your home is your office from which you work, the IRS will allow you to claim the mileage from your home to meet your client and back home again. Please be sure to keep complete mileage records using an app or make the notations before, during and after completion of your trip. The mileage rate for business this year is 58.5cents per mile for the 1st 6 months and 62.5 cents per mile for the last half of the year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Perfect! Thank you so much. I keep track of my miles on Quickbooks, is that enough or do I also need to take pictures or use another app?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies