turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Katrinakitty
Returning Member

Still need an answer please on my reply to this. Casual seller. Not a business or a hobby.

I sell my items on occasion, such as Disney collectibles or dolls. I’m not a business. And I don’t qualify as a hobby. How are such earnings reported. I don’t have receipts for the items I sell to prove whether so make a profit. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JandKit
Employee Tax Expert

Still need an answer please on my reply to this. Casual seller. Not a business or a hobby.

Hi Katrinakitty,

The money received is reportable to you as income. If you have a profit motive, meaning you are working to make extra money for doing other things, go ahead and treat it as self-employed income and you can take the expenses or the cost of doing your business. If the profit is less than $400, you'll only pay regular tax and would not pay any self-employed taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Katrinakitty
Returning Member

I’m not in a trade or business, and it’s my understanding that the IRS allows people to report 1099K income as non self-employed income under investment income for personal items sold not associated with a trade or business using TurboTax Premier.  Please advise. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies